Welcome Visitor
Today is Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Developer pulls Batey farm rezoning request

Comment     Print
Related Articles
The future of the property known as the Batey Farm is still undecided. TENA LEE

A home builder whose request to rezone one of the few pieces of open land left on the Indian Lake peninsula was met by fierce opposition earlier this summer, has withdrawn the proposal according to Hendersonville Planning Director Keith Free.

However, Free said he expects a new plan for fewer homes under the current zoning to be submitted to the city within the next month or so.

Home builder D.R. Horton, who has a contract to purchase 35 acres of former farmland known as the Batey farm at the corner of Indian Lake Road and East Drive had requested a SR-1 PD designation rather than the current zoning of SR-1.

The current zoning requires a minimum lot size of 12,500 square feet with as many as 85 to 90 homes expected to fit on the property. The SR-1 PD zoning would have allowed more homes at a density of three homes per acre with a minimum lot size of 7,500-square-feet. D. R. Horton requested to build 105 homes with lot sizes running between 7,800 and 13,000 square-feet.

The new zoning would have also required more open space (25 percent in this case) as well as more design restrictions on the developer, Free said.

However, the trade-offs weren't enough to convince area neighbors nor members of the Hendersonville Regional Planning Commission that the proposed subdivision would be a good fit for the area.

During a July 10 Planning Commission meeting, area residents packed the main meeting room of City Hall, spilling into the hallways and opposing the rezoning during a public hearing. Many argued more homes in the area would worsen drainage issues that plague several homes south of the property. Others expressed concern about added traffic to the area.

Planning Commission members voted unanimously to not recommend the rezoning request.

However, final say on such a request lies with the city's Board of Mayor and Aldermen. Free said the developer formally withdrew its rezoning request on July 20.

"We're anticipating a submission for developing it as it's zoned," said Free. As of Tuesday, no new plans had been submitted to the city, meaning the earliest a new proposal for the property would be considered by the planning commission would be at its Oct. 3 meeting.

Read more from:
Local news
Tags: 
None
Share: 
Comment      Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: